* opens in a new window
LOCATION: GREENBELT , MD , US
DATE POSTED: 2021-03-17
SUBCATEGORY: SW Engineer
SHIFT: Day Job
MINIMUM CLEARANCE REQUIRED: None
CLEARANCE LEVEL MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN: None
POTENTIAL FOR REMOTE WORK: Yes
SAIC is seekingRobot Software Engineers on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 (On-orbit Servicing, Assembly, and Manufacturing) program in NASAs Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD, but is currently remote due to COVID-19.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division (NExIS) managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will provide software or software testing support for the OSAM-1 Robot Subsystem to develop next generation robotic software systems. The OSAM-1 Robot Subsystem is responsible for developing the robotic technology for the OSAM-1 servicing vehicle and operating the two robotic arms during the Landsat-7 servicing operations.
Job duties include:
* Provide technical direction for the design and development or test of robotic systems and associated technologies.
* Define or test software architectures, requirements, solutions, and development environments for terrestrial and space robotic systems.
* Develop or test software components and algorithms for spacecraft servicing robotic systems.
* Work with other engineers and scientists to design, develop, integrate, and test related systems and software components.
* Create and deliver technical presentations to support the design and development of robot systems, including requirement and design reviews.
* Oversee the day-to-day software development flow and integration process.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* BS or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or Computer and 9+ years of directly applicable experience.
* Strong hands-on experience with robotics software development or test in C++, robotic arms and/or robotic manipulators strongly preferred.
* Experience with standard best practice software development or test lifecycle.
* Excellent programming knowledge of object-oriented programming in C++.
* Experience with kinematics, motion control, and motion planning.
* Experience working with embedded systems and real time operating systems (RTOS).
* Experience with Open Robot Control Software (Orocos).
* Experience developing software in multi-threaded environments.
* Experience with product version control and release management.
* Experience with communication protocols and their implementation (TCP, UDP, serial, EtherCAT).
* Working understanding of the Agile software development lifecycle.
* Experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle gathering requirements, design, implementation, testing, debugging, and deployment to the end user.
* Ability to assess new APIs and tools for software development.
* Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
* Multi-platform programming experience (OS X, Linux).
* User interfaces.
* C++ libraries: Boost, Qt.
* Experience with software development for real-time systems.
* Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS).
* Experience with spaceflight robotic systems.
* Experience with NASA mission lifecycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
Target salary range: $125,001 - $150,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nations modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partners ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit [ or Working at SAIC [ for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
* opens in a new window