* opens in a new window
LOCATION: GREENBELT , MD , US
DATE POSTED: 2021-03-30
SUBCATEGORY: SW Engineer
SHIFT: Day Job
MINIMUM CLEARANCE REQUIRED: None
CLEARANCE LEVEL MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN: None
POTENTIAL FOR REMOTE WORK: No
SAIC is seeking a Robot Infrastructure Software Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 program in NASAs Exploration and In-space Services Division (NExIS) at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD, butis temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) NExIS managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The NEXIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will provide SW and IT support for the OSAM-1 robotics subsystem. The robot subsystem is responsible for developing the next generation of robotic hardware and software systems on the OSAM-1 project. The subsystem comprises a multi-discipline engineering team creating robotic technologies that drive future satellite servicing.
Job duties include:
* Design, develop and maintain information systems and services, across the full spectrum of hardware, virtual, and containerized solutions to support robot system development and robot operations.
* Evaluate and implement new software and solutions.
* Maintain high-availability of critical infrastructure systems and services.
* Ensure systems are patched in accordance with maintenance plan processes.
* Maintain inventory of highly specialized information systems and network assets.
* Participate in weekly planning and status meetings with various stakeholders.
* Support robot personnel end user systems when needed.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelors degree in computer engineering, or closely related field with 5+ years of related experience.
* Experience building and maintaining high-availability Ubuntu-based Linux servers and clients, including all hardware, OS, and software, installation and maintenance activities.
* Experience managing a moderate (100+) base of server, client, and workstation, computers spread across multiple geographic locations.
* Experience with deployment tools such as Ansible or Clonezilla.
* Experience with Apache and web applications such as Jenkins and Redmine.
* Experience with virtualization systems such as VMWare ESXi or Docker.
* Experience with Linux RAID solutions.
* Experience troubleshooting complex systems.
* Strong proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
* Proficiency in recommending deviations from established policies and procedures.
* Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction.
* Proficiency in advising management, inside and outside own organization, on system architecture, technical results, or risks.
* Ability to obtain/maintainNASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtainthecertification_._
* Experience with robotic hardware, preferably robotic arm hardware.
* Maintaining MacOS computers.
* Managing and maintaining LDAP.
* Retrospect backup system.
* Support of flight mission operations.
* Cisco networking appliances.
* Level 2 and Level 3 VPN systems spread over multiple geographic locations.
* Configuration management using git.
* Bash scripting.
* Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nations modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partners ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit [ or Working at SAIC [ for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
* opens in a new window