UAMS Medical Center
Little Rock, Arkansas,
* opens in a new window
The Network Engineer - Advanced (Network Capacity Planner - Advanced) supports and monitors the UAMS Network Engineering environment. Environment includes but is not limited to: Networking equipment from Arista, Aruba, Brocade, F5, Juniper, and Cisco; networking monitoring software from Arista, Aruba, Brocade, Cisco, Juniper, AKiPS, SolarWinds, InMon or other functionally equivalent applications.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
Vacation, Vacation and Sick Leave
Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
Career Training and Educational Opportunities
Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Salary offered commensurate with experience.
This position participates in a group 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year on-call rotation where each member of the group takes call for 1 week at a time.
Systems Support and maintenance
• Ensure timely update of Network Engineering hardware and software to new Service packs, patches, etc.
• Assist with resolution of user defined problems with production systems and/or production equipment.
• Monitoring performance of production systems. Ensure automated monitoring of production systems when possible.
• Installation and/or activation of networking equipment: wired network jacks, wireless access points, network switches, etc.
• Update wired and wireless systems drawing as changes and/or additions are made to productions systems.
• Maintain IP assignments.
• Update hardware and software inventory and version control information as items are added, removed or modified using established record keeping processes.
• IT Application Analyst coordination in support of productions systems.
• Written and verbal communication at a department level concerning system maintenance and/or downtime.
Infrastructure Technology Planning
• Assessment of software tools that will enable all IT areas to provide quicker more reliable services to UAMS.
• Assessment of emerging technologies that will enhance the UAMS IT environment.
• Assessment of emerging management needs.
• Selection of appropriate technologies and systems for UAMS.
• Recommending technology standards appropriate for the UAMS environment.
• Coordination with other IT areas in support of new system implementations and upgrades.
Cloud Infrastructure Technology Planning
• Assessment of emerging cloud technologies that will enhance the UAMS IT environment.
• Assessment of emerging cloud management needs.
• Evaluation and recommendation of appropriate technologies and cloud providers for UAMS needs with other IT areas and stakeholders.
• Coordination with other IT areas in support of new cloud system implementations and upgrades.
WAN Circuit Evaluation and Planning
• Assessment of existing data circuits in the area of circuit quality, down times, and bandwidth.
• Recommendation of appropriate existing data circuit bandwidth as customer needs change.
• Assessment of existing circuit or new circuit needs & costs with recommendation of appropriate sizing of bandwidth, appropriate technical delivery mechanisms, and vendor selection to best balance needs and costs.
Disaster recovery preparedness
• Responsible for monitoring regular backups of the system
• Plan for system recovery in the event of a failure
• Documentation for the disaster recovery plan is to be kept current at all times and tested periodically
Other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field of study plus ten (10) years of Information Technology experience or other relevant experience in a large data network environment with four years specifically in two of the following: Network Engineering Equipment support (Arista, Aruba Networks, Brocade, Cisco, F5, and Juniper, etc.) - OR - Associate Degree in Computer Science or related field of study plus twelve(12) years of Information Technology experience or other relevant experience in a large data network environment with four years specifically in two of the following: Network Engineering Equipment support (Arista, Aruba Networks, Brocade, Cisco, F5, and Juniper, etc.) - OR - High school diploma plus fourteen (14) years of Information Technology experience or other relevant experience in a large data network environment with four years specifically in two of the following: Network Engineering Equipment support (Arista, Aruba Networks, Brocade, Cisco, F5, and Juniper, etc.).
Must have vehicle to commute from UAMS campus office to off-campus UAMS offices for meetings.
Certifications - Network+ and A+ certifications
Experience with MS Office Tools: Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Visio
Configuration, troubleshooting, and certifications of network equipment from Arista, Aruba Networks, Brocade, Cisco, F5, and Juniper.
Experience with network monitoring software such as Inmon, Ciscoworks, Solarwinds, AKiPs, Cacti, and Nagios or functional equivalents.
Experience with network troubleshooting tools such as a fox/hound toner, wire scanners, and network packet sniffers.
Good working knowledge of OSI Layers 1-4.
Experience in a TCP/IP routed environment using OSPF, BGP, EVPN, & VXLAN.
Experience troubleshooting network connectivity with desktop and server operating systems such as Windows Server, Linux, Unix, and Mac OS.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check and drug screen. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant except as provided by law. Any criminal history will be evaluated in relationship to job responsibilities and business necessity. The information obtained in these reports will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UAMS is an and of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (phone number removed) and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Bend, crawl, crouch, kneel, stoop, or reach overhead: Occasionally
Lift, push, pull, carry weight: 51 - 99 lbs
Use hands to touch, handle, or feel: Occasionally
Taste or smell: Frequently
Read, concentrate, think analytically: Frequently
Physical Environment: Inside Classroom Setting, Inside Laboratory Environment, Inside Medical Facility Environment, Inside Office Environment, Outdoor Weather Conditions
Noise Level: Moderate
Visual Requirements: Color discrimination, Depth perception, Far visual acuity, Near visual acuity
Hazards: Dust, Sharp objects/tools
* opens in a new window