For organizations seeking to gain greater IT agility, edge computing is emerging as a necessity that bridges the "compute divide" between on-premises IT and the public cloud core, says Century Link.
Today, at VMworld 2019 in San Francisco, the company announced what it called a major step in linking public cloud efficiencies to private cloud and edge-connected computing solutions.
The company released five enhancements to CenturyLink® Private Cloud on VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF). The new upgrades, which come on the heels of its recent announcement of edge compute services, enable businesses to expand their use of distributed compute resources while maintaining the reliability, security, and performance of dedicated software-defined infrastructure, the company said.
- Expansion to numerous third-party data centres globally – CenturyLink Private Cloud on VCF can be deployed to over 2,200 network-connected private and public data centers globally, plus to the recently announced 100-plus edge computing locations to be embedded within the CenturyLink fiber network..
- Support for VMware Enterprise PKS – The service now provides enterprise-grade monitoring and management of container solutions for production workloads.
- Support for VMware HCX Migration and Hybridity Tool – VMware HCX is now the migration tool of choice for extending, migrating and integrating environments together when organizations implementing design updates, architecture changes, or logical migrations across CenturyLink's VMware portfolio.
- Support for Caveonix RiskForesight – RiskForesight addresses the need for continuous compliance and cybersecurity through real-time visibility into workloads, proactive risk management, compliance monitoring, and policy enforcement.
- Support for 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs – The service is standardized on 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors (formerly code-named "Cascade Lake") which provide better performance and efficiency from previous generation and integrate new features such as Intel® Deep Learning Boost for AI inference acceleration, as well as the latest Intel Optane Solid State Drives.
CenturyLink Private Cloud is available in 41 hosting locations on four continents. Integration of CenturyLink Private Cloud for VMware Cloud Foundation with CenturyLink Cloud Application Manager enables a single pane of glass for ongoing monitoring, automation, and support for mission-critical business workloads, the company said.
Paul Barker is the editor-in-chief of the Edge Computing Association. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org